Re: The HTTP vs SPDY debate

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 4:49 PM, Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu> wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 03:15:12PM +0200, Mike Belshe wrote:
> > You're welcome to ask the browser implementors, but a new protocol
> > namespace is really a non-starter.  We can't kick protocol versioning out
> > to the users for sorting out.
> >
> > From a protocol specification perspective, SPDY does not mandate SSL.
> >
> > From a browser perspective, I don't think the browsers are going to be
> keen
> > on having multiple, experimental HTTP/2.0 or SPDY specs implemented
> > concurrently.  It's just a coding mess.
>
> This is exactly what they've been doing and both Chrome and Mozilla have
> SPDY right now. I'm not talking about having *multiple* experimental specs,
> just one stable standard and one experimental from which the next standard
> will be built. This is exactly what is happening right now, and you know
> too
> well that it will not stop here !

I'm pretty familiar with what the browsers do, and they don't do this :-)
 So I must be misunderstanding what you mean.

If you're talking about how a feature goes from dev channel to beta channel
to release channel in chrome,  thats true.  But its not used the way I
thought you were asking it to be used - features don't stay locked at one
level - they either get rolled into the next version (which is ~3 weeks
apart!) or they get kicked out.  In other words, all features are always on
path to get shipped within ~10weeks.

Mike