AW: fyi: An Experimental Study of Web Transport Protocols in Cellular Networks

From: Tobias Oberstein <tobias.oberstein@tavendo.de>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 11:15:43 -0700
To: Yuchung Cheng <ycheng@google.com>
CC: "ietf-http-wg@w3.org" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
> > The study speaks about state transitions of the HSPA radio channel,
> > which is quite interesting!
> >
> > A daily annoyance for me is the _initial_ delay it takes when surfing
> > the web, because the radio channel has been apparently put into some idle
> state.
> >
> > It takes anything from 1-5s to get into an active state again.
> Do you see that on LTE? the last paragraph of page 32 in Binoy's thesis has
> some promising numbers.

I saw the numbers and they are indeed quite promising! On the other hand,
the world-wide rollout of LTE might take years .. so HSPA is here to stay for
at least some time.

I don't have access to LTE network or device currently .. too bad.

FWIW: code I used is here
https://github.com/oberstet/scratchbox/blob/master/python/heartbeat/client.py