Re: SPDY = HTTP/2.0 or not ?

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 09:49:53 +0000
To: Brian Pane <brianp@brianp.net>
cc: ietf-http-wg@w3.org
In message <CAAbTgTto2rgiDVzyjJLfit1_kKLR45ZgfY2+PTBQ+V_sP4L3Qg@mail.gmail.com>
, Brian Pane writes:

>If we
>convince ourselves that securing the transport is too onerous for
>the thousands, or too inefficient for the millions, we'll be missing
>a chance to better harden the web on behalf of the billions.

...but on the other hand, we might see the fruits of our labors actually
used by people, if we try to deliver tools, rather than policies.

The choice of crypto or no crypto is for the HTTP-service provider to
decide, it is not for us to decide on their behalf.

We can offer the tools, we can encourage the use of them, but we have
neither moral nor political authority to mandate use of cryptograhpy
by people who do not want it.