WGLC Issue for p4: Optionality of Conditional Request Support

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 19:53:43 +1100
To: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
Is p4 optional or not (for servers, clients, etc.)? I think it is, and so it should be explicitly marked as such.

E.g.,

* 2.2.1 Generation - "Origin servers SHOULD send Last-Modified..." -- is this really a SHOULD, or should we just encourage them to? If p4 is optional, I don't think we can impose this as a SHOULD.

* 2.3.1 Generation - "Origin servers SHOULD send ETag..." -- is this really a SHOULD, or should we just encourage them to? If p4 is optional, I don't think we can impose this as a SHOULD.

* 2.4 Rules... - there are many requirements for servers and clients here; I think they need to be downgraded if p4 is indeed optional.

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/