Re: http+aes

From: Eric J. Bowman <eric@bisonsystems.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 20:07:18 -0700
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>, URI <uri@w3.org>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
Ian Hickson wrote:

> (We did actually consider something like this.)

Who is "we" and where are these conversations archived?  I'm feeling
blindsided again, by yet another URI scheme proposal popping up in the
HTML 5 spec.  Without, say, having been floated as an I-D first with the
rationale posted to, say, uri@w3.org -- where it wouldn't have escaped
my notice.  That's the accepted, open way, where nobody in the
community feels left out...

Otherwise, it seems like the solution was created first, with the
rationale evolving later, to counter the criticism.  I wouldn't feel
that way if the URI community had discussed it *before* it popped up
in the spec, as a fait accompli you're only interested in _clarifying_
rather than actually entertaining alternative ideas "we" apparently
already considered and rejected...

-Eric