From: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 10:50:33 -0700
To: iesg@ietf.org
CC: mnot@mnot.net, ietf-http-wg@w3.org, IETF discussion list <ietf@ietf.org>
<hat type='AD'/>

On 2/21/12 11:10 AM, IESG Secretary wrote:
> A modified charter has been submitted for the Hypertext Transfer
> Protocol Bis (httpbis) working group in the Applications Area of the
> IETF.  The IESG has not made any determination as yet.  The modified
> charter is provided below for informational purposes only.  Please send
> your comments to the IESG mailing list (iesg@ietf.org) by Tuesday,
> February 28, 2012.

Clearly this rechartering request has triggered a lengthy discussion
about web authentication. However, the only comment on the charter
itself Stephen Farrell's noting that this bullet is a bit vague
(specifically that it does not mention authentication):

> * Reflecting modern security requirements and practices

Stephen and I just had a chat about this matter. He and I came up with a
proposed paragraph to add after that list of bullet points:

   In the initial phase of work on HTTP/2.0, new proposals
   for authentication schemes can be made.  The WG will
   select zero or more of those with a goal of choosing
   at least one scheme that is better than those available
   for HTTP/1.x.  Non-selected schemes might be discussed
   with the IETF Security Area for further work there.

Your comments are welcome.

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre