Re: Idempotent partial updates

tor 2012-03-01 klockan 01:04 +0000 skrev Mike Kelly:

> Ok, so it sounds to me like you are saying that what would happen in
> reality is besides the point because there is a rule governing the
> design of PUT in HTTP/1.x which must not be broken. Is there any
> evidence of that rule producing some benefit to the web?

Partial PUT have only been deployed in very isolated use cases and I
have not been in touch of any of them. I am very sure we would have seen
numerous interop issues and breakage if it had been more widely adopted
that PUT can be used in this manner.

To counter your question, is there any evidence that misusing PUT for
partial updates compared to defining a new method for the purpose have
had any positive benefit to the web?

Regards
Henrik