Re: Review: http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-mbelshe-httpbis-spdy-00.txt

Hi Roy,

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 11:45:50PM -0800, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> Please, if you have an opinion, state it once and be satisfied that it
> has been heard and archived in the usual place.  It does not need to be
> repeated over and over again.
>
> If you have a better design solution, then propose it as a separate draft.
> There's nothing I'd like better than a number of open proposals and a
> bake-off to see which one is better (or which ones are better, if that
> depends on context or traffic styles).
>
> For example, waka is a tokenized protocol for the exact reasons that you
> describe, and it is specifically designed to speed intermediate processing.
> Unfortunately, having no end of potential syntaxes to choose from means
> I keep changing my mind as to which one to choose.  So I have nothing
> to show for it, aside from a ten year old presentation and a lot of
> burned out neurons.  I should have written a draft instead.  Maybe that
> will happen after HTTPbis is complete.  Maybe I'll go sane instead.
>
> It takes a lot of time to put together a decent Internet Draft, but it
> can clarify your thoughts and expose some incomplete considerations.
> I encourage anyone who is interested in doing so to give it a try.
> I can't guarantee that anyone will like your ideas, but it is more
> effective than arguing design decisions without an alternative at hand.

I get your point. I too have huge difficulties finding time to contribute
a draft, though I'd love to participate to one. However discussing issues
here helps rising various people's concerns that nobody would have thought
of alone in front of his keyboard (eg: what Patrick and Mike said about
repeated cookies).

Mike has proposed a draft so in my opinion it makes sense to discuss it,
as it's a solid basis for future work. At least we have something to talk
about.

Regards,
Willy