Re: HTTP at a glance

On 29.02.2012 07:31, Martin Thomson wrote:
> On 27 February 2012 13:23, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:
>> No, POST can create resources.  The only difference is that the
>> client doesn't
>> know how the resource(s) will be identified after being created.
>
> And some of us really like having some control over our own URI
> space,
> preferring this approach over PUT.  I wouldn't characterize that as a
> mistake, just a choice.

The blessed way to do that is with a 3xx redirect instructing the
client where you want the resource PUT if they somehow get it wrong. (Or
just plain denying wrong PUT if you dont want third-party scripts using
PUT on your site.)

Yes, I too see a bandwidth problem with that blessed way of doing
things. Perhapse what is needed is a response indicating "okay, but
change the URI to X" which does not involve a repeated PUT action. The
plain PUT+200 sequence seems not to do that easily (workable ideas
welcome. With my web-dev hat on I have an interest in implementing).

AYJ