Re: Idempotent partial updates

From: Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 18:31:08 +0100
Cc: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>, Mike Kelly <mikekelly321@gmail.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
I'm not sure we are communicating.

In the web-as-deployed, partial updates often use the PUT method.
Intermediaries know these are idempotent and can do interesting things to these interactions.

In the web-as-soon-specified, partial updates are now moving to PATCH.
Intermediaries don't know anything and cannot do anything that would rely on idempotence.

Is that a problem?
A big enough problem that would move us to do something about the point the specs now seem to be converging towards?

I don't know.  I just want to make sure we communicate about this change.

Gre, Carsten