Re: Idempotent partial updates

From: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 20:28:25 -0800
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: Mike Kelly <mikekelly321@gmail.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
I think that the "problem" in this case is one of invention only.  If
you desire the ability to do a partial update of a resource, then you
probably don't have enough resources.  I know that's a gross
generalization, but I haven't seen that comment in the thread.

I agree with Mike that PATCH (or a special POST) aren't visibly
idempotent, which is a crucial characteristic if this is going to
work.