Re: HTTP/1.0 request - should the server close the connection after response?

From: Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 17:56:51 +0100
To: Zhong Yu <zhong.j.yu@gmail.com>
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 10:32:39AM -0600, Zhong Yu wrote:
> When an HTTP/1.1 server accepts an HTTP/1.0 request, should the server
> always close the connection after sending the response? That seems to
> be the safest way. While the server could try to keep the connection
> by checking for Connection: keep-alive, the spec suggests that it is
> problematic. What's your recommended best practice for this issue?

In haproxy we check for "Connection: keep-alive" in 1.0 and
"Connection: close" in 1.1 and I've never had any report of
unexpected behaviour by doing so. Also, I don't think there
is any need for recommending currently working implementations
to stop doing something that has been working fine for them,
because they will simply ignore the recommendation and tend
to consider the other ones with less care.

Regards,
Willy