On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Barry Leiba <barryleiba@computer.org> wrote:
>> browser id, openid, and oauth are all authentication frameworks built
>> on top of HTTP
>

> OAuth is an authorization framework, not an authentication one.  Please be
> careful to make the distinction.

I call rubbish:

And I quote: "   client
         An HTTP client (per [RFC2616]) capable of making OAuth-
         authenticated requests (Section 3).

   server
         An HTTP server (per [RFC2616]) capable of accepting OAuth-
         authenticated requests (Section 3)."

OAuth certainly *thinks* it provides *both* Authentication *and*
Authorization, and it uses the same header that Basic and Digest do -
Authorization.

> What we're looking at here is the need for an HTTP authentication system
> that (for example) doesn't send reusable credentials, is less susceptible to
> spoofing attacks, and so on.

Those are good things too, though orthogonal to my point, which is
that some of the most widely deployed authentication - yes,
authentication - systems used by web sites are not part of the HTTP
protocol spec. OpenID  and cookie based systems in general.

(Though OAuth is a pleasing exception in that it can and does
preferentially use the Authorization header).

-Rob