Re: #341: whitespace in request-lines and status-lines

Hi Mark,

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 03:10:06PM +1100, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> Looking at this a bit more.
>
> We can't use OWS or BWS here, because they both include obs-fold.
>
> So, proposal:
>

> Add a new construct:
>
> SSP = SP /  1*BSP         ; preferred single space
> BSP = ( HTAB / SP )       ; "bad" space
>
> And change Request-Line and Status-Line to:
>
>      Request-Line   = Method SSP request-target SSP HTTP-Version BSP CRLF
>      Status-Line = HTTP-Version SSP Status-Code SSP Reason-Phrase BSP CRLF
>
> With appropriate text cautioning against generation of BSP, but advising consumption of it.
>
> Thoughts?

FWIW, haproxy has never allowed HTABs nor multiple spaces here and still
we dont get error reports. In fact the only times I catch this, it comes
from a poorly-written attack script.

I don't think we should relax the parsing rules, and it seems like Amos and
I were on the same line of "exactly matching" one SP.

Regards,
Willy