chunk-extensions

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 12:03:38 +1100
To: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
Right now, this is all we say about chunk-extensions (beyond the BNF, etc.):

>    All HTTP/1.1 applications MUST be able to receive and decode the
>    "chunked" transfer-coding and MUST ignore chunk-ext extensions they
>    do not understand.

Since this is an extensibility point, we should give guidance on how it should be used.

I can't really see establishing a chunk-extension registry; they don't have any semantic, and AFAIK haven't really been used in anger.

What do people think about adding advice along these lines:

"""
Use of chunk-extensions by senders is deprecated; they SHOULD NOT be sent and definition of new chunk-extensions is discouraged.
"""

?

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/