Re: Rechartering HTTPbis

From: Henrik Nordström <henrik@henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2012 05:01:56 +0100
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
lör 2012-01-28 klockan 09:13 +0100 skrev Julian Reschke:

> > I would apply a lossy conversion (reverse-mapping between UTF-8 and 8859-1).
> > So whatever fits 8859-1 would correctly be mapped, and the rest would be lost
> > or quoted. I don't think it's that big an issue if this is a well-known
>
> There is no quoting we can use, unless we define a new one...

Or we just accept that HTTP/1.1 implementations do not follow HTTP/1.1
encoding specifications anyway for non-ascii data and simply say that
when I18N  field values need to be gatewayed to HTTP/1.1 then send them
as UTF-8 even if HTTP/1.1 specifications says otherwise, intentionally
overriding HTTP/1.1 specifications.

Sure it will break some to fix some (and mainly authentication), but
it's not really such a big deal. In the end it's about the same amount
of breakage as today, only different and more consistent.

But it's a bad idea to open for I18N in field names.

Regards
Henrik