Re: feedback on draft-reschke-basicauth-enc-04, "3. The 'encoding' auth-param"

On 2012-01-30 13:20, Alexei Khlebnikov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My feedback on
> <http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-reschke-basicauth-enc-04.html#encoding>:
>

> Was it considered to name the new parameter "charset" instead of
> "encoding"?

No, I didn't think of that.

> I can see the following advantages of "charset":
>
> 1) "Charset" is unambigous. "Encoding" is ambigous, it can refer to many
> things: base64, quoted-printable, chunked-coding, gzip-compression, etc.

Well, as Björn says, charset is is ambiguous as well; the correct term
here would be "character encoding scheme", but there's also the aspect
of brevity.

> 2) "Charset" is already used in the HTTP protocol, so it is good to use
> the same word for consistency:

I'd agree if this was exactly the same use case...

That being said, I'm happy to do what the majority thinks is best.

Best regards, Julian