Re: HTTbis spec size, was: Rechartering HTTPbis

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 11:07:59 +0000
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
cc: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
In message <4F23D30C.1040406@gmx.de>, Julian Reschke writes:
>On 2012-01-28 11:45, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

>Organization aside the question is whether things like methods, payload
>formats, and status codes are integral parts of HTTP/2.0. I think they are.

I think they are not:  They are what is being transported, and
good transportation does not interfere with the goods being transported.

>I *agree* with improving the layering, and maybe giving the transport
>layer a specific name, but "HTTP/2.0" it can't be.

I'm going to point you at that annoying 'T' and ask you what the
heck else HTTP/2.0 would be doing, but transporting ? :-)

That said, I don't particularly care about what the document or
protocol is called, because it has no user-visible impact if we do
our job right.

In fact, we can probably avoid a LOT of idle spin-cycles in the
"IT-press" by not naming anything "HTTP/2.0", ever.

Is "WTP" already taken ?

... by anybody we care about ? :-)