Re: Rechartering HTTPbis

From: Henrik Nordström <henrik@henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 22:47:46 +0100
To: Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>
Cc: ietf-http-wg@w3.org
ons 2012-01-25 klockan 10:35 +0100 skrev Willy Tarreau:

> I was thinking exactly about the same thing just after sending the mail,
> this would leave 4 parts in a message :
>   - request/status line
>   - transport headers
>   - other headers
>   - payload

Everything transport should be at a transport layer, wrapping the
exchanged messages. So I would put it like

- message oriented hop by hop transport, defining message boundaries,
abnormal termination, TLS negotiation, tunneling, multi-streaming etc as
desired.
- request/response meta data
- entity content

with everything transport completely interchangeable without affecting
any of the functionality or semantics of the exchanged messages as such.

authentication is a little tricky to define cleanly however as it's a
property of both transport and message, and hop-by-hop and end-to-end..

the other question is if there should be support for non-message based
content (i.e. streams etc).

Regards
Henrik