Re: Rechartering HTTPbis

From: Adrien de Croy <adrien@qbik.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 09:46:43 +1300
To: Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>
CC: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>, Amos Jeffries <squid3@treenet.co.nz>, ietf-http-wg@w3.org

one other thing, I think we are losing site of context here.

We're discussing possible features for a new protocol which is not
necessarily syntactically compatible with HTTP/1.x

This means that every piece of deployed HTTP infrastructure would need
to be upgraded if it wishes to support the new protocol.

So raising roadblocks for general protocol features on the basis of very
limited existing 1.x implementations serves no useful purpose.

In that light, I'll throw something else out there.

I think it may possibly solve more problems than it would create to
simply use a different port for "http 2.0", and not try to achieve
backward compatibility / interoperability with 1.x on the same port.

There - I said it :)

Adrien