Re: Rechartering HTTPbis

From: Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 15:11:28 +0100
To: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc: Adrien de Croy <adrien@qbik.com>, Amos Jeffries <squid3@treenet.co.nz>, ietf-http-wg@w3.org
On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 02:05:56PM +0000, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <20120126140301.GG8887@1wt.eu>, Willy Tarreau writes:
>
> >OK, but in the context I said that, we were talking about chunking.
> >And this is still true. A chunked-encoded transfer that does not end
> >with the last 0-byte chunk *is* always an indication of a truncate.
>
> Yes, absolutely.  I just wish there were a way to end the transmission
> and say: "Sorry, that went awry, but we can still use this connection.

The only solution I can think of would be to send padding up to the
current chunk size and advertise "0" with some extension to indicate
the wish to reuse the connection. But I really think that the cost of
handling all impacts of a failed connections sensibly offsets the small
expected gain for these rare conditions.

Willy