Re: Header field name representation, was: Rechartering HTTPbis

From: Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 11:37:14 +0100
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>, Amos Jeffries <squid3@treenet.co.nz>, ietf-http-wg@w3.org
> >I find it pretty cumbersome to force everyone to support zlib, especially
> >in environments where it provides no benefit (small requests/responses)
> >and only adds CPU usage and latency. It's especially true on intermediary
> >components which would have to decompress everything to be able to perform
> >trivial actions such as decide what server to forward to. Using either pure
> >binary header names or short forms would already be quite efficient.
>
> What's a binary header name?

Oh I'm realizing I wrote that ! I was meaning the use of enums instead of
headers for the common ones. For instance, we could have bytes 0x80 to 0xFF
directly mapped to most common headers and be able to represent 128 different
headers with a single byte, and have the other chars for the other ones.
We could even push the principle further and have the Connection header
apply the same rules (eg: use high bytes to reference well-known headers
or tokens).

Regards,
Willy