Re: Rechartering HTTPbis

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 09:32:57 +0000
To: "William A. Rowe Jr." <wrowe@rowe-clan.net>
cc: Amos Jeffries <squid3@treenet.co.nz>, ietf-http-wg@w3.org
In message <4F211C40.3020100@rowe-clan.net>, "William A. Rowe Jr." writes:
>On 1/26/2012 2:39 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

>>> So how would compression type be embeded in the request-line in a way
>>> not to break HTTP/1.1 servers receiving it?
>>
>> First of all, I would not allow different compression types.  It's ZLIB
>> and it's mandatory.
>
>Which?  zlib exposes more than one, now.

Well, we'll pick one and only one, but it should have a "null" mode.

>> Second, we cannot know if the other end is HTTP/1.1 or HTTP/2.0 until
>> we see its reply, so the first request would always be in HTTP/1.1 format.
>
>Or OPTIONS * HTTP/2.0\nHost: thathost.com - or its transparent equivalent.

The problem with that is that if it is a HTTP/1.1 only server, you loose
a round-trip or worst case a connection.

All clients will have to cope with HTTP/1.1-only servers for ages,
so making the first request on a connection always be HTTP/1.1, and
then if/when the reply indicates HTTP/2.0 capability, upgrade to 2.0
avoids wasting a round-trip.