Re: Rechartering HTTPbis

From: Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 10:47:57 +0100
To: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc: Amos Jeffries <squid3@treenet.co.nz>, ietf-http-wg@w3.org
On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 09:45:03AM +0000, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <20120125093543.GB2413@1wt.eu>, Willy Tarreau writes:
>
> >> I would add a new header that tells how many seconds the connection
> >> can be idle before it is closed.  A value of zero has same semantics
> >> as "Connection: close" has today.
> >
> >[...] the client expecting everyone in the whole chain
> >to respect their timers.
>
> I didn't say that the timer would be respected, I said that it would
> be communicated.  It can at best be a hint, and everybody are entitled
> to close whenever they feel like.

I clearly understood that you wanted it that way, but I can assure you
that it's not how stupid developers will expect it to work. You're aware
that the HTTP specs are only read by low-level implementers like the
persons on this WG. Web developers never read specs because they believe
they "know" well enough unfortunately. And I'm facing them all the day.

Willy