Re: Rechartering HTTPbis

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 09:12:24 +0000
To: Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>
cc: Amos Jeffries <squid3@treenet.co.nz>, ietf-http-wg@w3.org
In message <20120125064534.GE32580@1wt.eu>, Willy Tarreau writes:

>That said, there are a number of other issues in HTTP/1.1 that we could get
>rid of when switching to a new protocol :
>  - get rid of the Host header and only use absolute URIs

+1

>  - get rid of content-length and only use transfer-coding (and get rid of
>    3 pages in the spec which explain how to determine a message's length)

Actually your remaining three ideas can be combined into one idea:

   - Clearly split transport metadata from content metadata, for instance
     by putting a blank line between them.

That removes the need for a Connection header to say which transport
metadata to strip.

I would add a new header that tells how many seconds the connection
can be idle before it is closed.  A value of zero has same semantics
as "Connection: close" has today.

That split also avoids the need to even parse the content metadata
for purposes of transport.