Re: Rechartering HTTPbis

From: Thomas Fossati <tho@koanlogic.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 21:59:37 +0100
Cc: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: Henrik Nordström <henrik@henriknordstrom.net>
On Jan 24, 2012, at 8:37 PM, Henrik Nordström wrote:
> tis 2012-01-24 klockan 08:13 +0000 skrev Poul-Henning Kamp:
>
>>> * Ability to be deployed on today's Internet, using IPv4 and IPv6, in the presence of NATs
>>
>> Apart from "no reverse connections" I have no idea what this means.
>
> As worded it basically means it must run over port tcp/80. SCTP is not
> an option if the above is taken literally as most NATs do not know what
> to make out of SCTP packets.

I think that this NAT-friendliness requisite is excessively limiting and, what's more, could be happily outdated by the time this new HTTP is going to be really deployed - which would be really regrettable.

I hope we don't waste this occasion to rethink HTTP deeply, by which I mean that we should not hold us back in experimenting with other transports other than TCP, or else our final outcome will be unnecessarily weakened.

Let this be a real 2.0, not just a buzzword :-)