Re: Defining the meaning of headers associated with a request body

From: Duncan Cragg <duncan@cilux.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 09:36:55 +0000
To: HTTP Bis <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
Thanks for the replies so far .. lots of very interesting information in
there.

My original question remains, however, so I'm wondering if I'm just
missing something about the nature of HTTP headers...

Allow me to cut right down to the essentials of my question:

  POST /z HTTP/1.1
  Cache-Control: max-age=3600
  Etag: "1"

My question is: /what do those three headers mean/ ??

If they mean 'nothing', does that allow me to correctly set up an agreed
protocol wherein they mean 'associated with the POSTed body/entity'?

 From combinations of RFC2616 and Bis, I get that:

  - Cache-Control is/was a 'general header', although registered
alongside the 'entity header', Expires, in p6.
  - Etag is a 'response header', although registered alongside the
'entity header', Last-Modified, in p4.
  - Content-Location is/was an 'entity header'.

(The phrases 'entity' and 'general' appear to be dropped since ticket 224.)

Perhaps there would be value in constructing a single table with all the
headers, what category they are (request, response, other??), what they
mean in requests (GET/P*), what in responses?

Saying 'in this context, this header means nothing as far as Bis is
concerned, so use it as you like' would be quite valuable information in
general, where it holds true.

Cheers!

Duncan