Re: informal Last Call on draft-reschke-http-status-308-02

On 2012-01-14 16:48, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> * Julian Reschke wrote:
>> - what's the problem with the title?
>
> When the redirect target disappears but the redirect does not, then you
> might end up with "Permanent Redirect" as title in search results which
> looks very broken and is uninformative. A better title would be "Moved
> to<new location>".

3xx responses never should show up in search results. Or am I missing
something?

>> - why do I need to specify encoding? It's all US-ASCII
>
> Because RFC 2854 says it's strongly recommended to use the parameter.

Well, it's a silly recommendation in this case. And it's NOT UPPERCASE!

>> - validator.nu says it's happy once I had the HTML4 strict doctype;
>> would that work for you?
>
> I can live with that.
>
>> The RFC Editor rewrites this part upon publication.
>
> Or forgets to do so and you forget to check and we end up with bad text.

Please trust my AUTH48 skills.

>>> I think you need a better term for "permanent URI". How about simply re-
>>> moving the "permanent" and possibly adding "new" to the second instance?
>>
>> I'd prefer to use language consistent with RFC 2616.
>
> Well, in RFC 2616 it makes a little bit more sense as there you have the
> contrast with temporary addresses, but "permanent" is the condition that
> the resource has a different address than the current one, but that does
> not mean the new address will be "permanent". But oh well, your argument
> is good enough.

Again, I'm with you in that we may want to tune the 3xx descriptions.
But we should be consistent in what we change.

Best regards, Julian