Re: Performance implications of Bundling and Minification on HTTP/1.1

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 06:41:14 +0000
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
cc: (wrong string) ™ˆ™˜Œ) <willchan@chromium.org>, Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <henrikn@microsoft.com>, Roberto Peon <grmocg@gmail.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, Howard Dierking <howard@microsoft.com>
In message <0FB054DA-C596-4C5B-A008-13141034A5FA@mnot.net>, Mark Nottingham wri
tes:

>> I agree that application level improvements have a bigger impact than
>protocol level improvements. But I think that it'd be great for the
>protocol to eliminate deficiencies for which application developers have
>to work around (e.g. domain sharding).

One of the biggest deficiencies in HTTP/1.x is the lack of a "session"
concept, which lead to the Cookie-Hack with all its pessimizing and
privacy-violating issues.

Even if used right (one cryptosigned session-identifier, all actual
data stored serverside) it has the sideeffect of blanket disabling
caching.

HTTP/2.0 should do better.