Re: Performance implications of Bundling and Minification on HTTP/1.1

From: (wrong string) 陈智昌 <willchan@chromium.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 21:20:06 -0700
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Cc: Roberto Peon <grmocg@gmail.com>, Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <henrikn@microsoft.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, Howard Dierking <howard@microsoft.com>
On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 8:33 PM, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:

> On 23/06/2012, at 6:08 AM, Roberto Peon wrote:
>
> > I'd argue another point.
> > The amount of work necessary to optimize site performance for HTTP/1.1
> today is large. The amount of knowledge necessary to do it properly is also
> large.
> > This is not the way it should be!

+1

> > The protocol should make it easier to do things right, and it should
> help in the (extremely frequent and likely) case that the site designer
> gets it wrong in little ways.
>
> This is definitely an area that should be discussed. I've heard a few
> people express skepticism about multiplexing overall, because it requires
> the server to prioritise what's in the pipe, which in turn requires greater
> knowledge (and probably a bucketload of heuristics).

> Right now those heuristics are applied to how browsers make requests, but
> at least the data is applied in the same place it's most usefully sourced,
> and of course there are fewer browser implementations than there are server
> deployments (which is potentially the level that this kind of tuning would
> need to take place for multiplexing).
>
> Discuss :)

I'm a bit surprised people express much skepticism. Basic heuristics can
get you a long way. For example, simply prioritizing html/js/css over other
resources like images does a lot. Remember that the majority of
implementations, including Chromium's and Google's, are still in the early
stages of optimization.