Re: Performance implications of Bundling and Minification on HTTP/1.1

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 00:37:27 +0200
To: Karl Dubost <karld@opera.com>
Cc: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <henrikn@microsoft.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, Howard Dierking <howard@microsoft.com>
* Karl Dubost wrote:
>All the tests and benchmarks we see (even if made on real Web sites) are
>what I call "cold start testing". Basically every is set to 0, we
>download everything and look at the protocol design impacts on
>performances.
>
>But when we talk about better *user* experience, we might want to take
>into account the impact on performances when the user is doing multiple
>actions on the same set of resources. HTTP caching enters into play.

Well, if the site does not load quickly on first visit, you might not
develop a user base that cares, while, when you are an established ser-
vice, users notice delays less due to familiarity, so these are really
two aspects of user experience, and one would look at the "cold start"
independently of the experience for staying visitors if new users are
a concern.