Re: SPDY Review

On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 18:12:24 +0200, Martin Thomson
<martin.thomson@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7 June 2012 07:18, Martin Nilsson <nilsson@opera.com> wrote:
>>  By adding priority information to the requests the server can take
>>  active decision in which resource to send first.
>
> I don't think priority is as big a deal as people are making out.  On
> the contrary, it's a distraction.

As Mike points out priority is of great importance from a browser point of
view. Javascripts are executed in sequence on a page, and it is not
uncommon for once script to load another one, or one style sheet to
include another one. At the same time you have images from the main
document being loaded. The relative importance of the resources can shift
during the loading of the page as well, e.g. if the user started to scroll
down the page and view new items.

>> 2.6. Push
>
> Is not sufficiently justified to warrant the significant change in
> protocol semantics.

We can see several use cases for Push, but there needs to be better user
agent control.

/Martin Nilsson