[httpauth] Mutual authentication proposal

From: Yutaka OIWA <y.oiwa@aist.go.jp>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2012 23:27:55 +0900
To: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, "http-auth@ietf.org" <http-auth@ietf.org>
Dear all,

with a few corrections from the May-21st draft,
I submitted the HTTP Mutual authentication draft as an httpbis proposal.

The proposal consists of two parts:

<http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-oiwa-httpbis-mutualauth-00.txt>
is the core proposal for HTTP Mutual authentication,
using RFC 2617 architecture.

<http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-oiwa-httpbis-auth-extension-00.txt>
is the important companion draft for generic extensions
which makes HTTP authentication useful again with
many Web applications.

The proposal is (both documents are) HTTP/1.1 compatible, and
as far as core HTTP request/response semantics are kept,
it should work with future HTTP/2.0, too.

I will set up wiki pages for these around tomorrow or so.
It will include information on available reference implementations,
some more introductions and so on.
I hope you will enjoy the proposed solution.

Following previous suggestions on http-auth, crypto primitive choices
are kept for future discussions.  One of primitive candidates,
which is now for an "example" or "reference" purpose,
is available as an "individual" draft at
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-oiwa-http-mutualauth-algo-02>.
To implement the core proposal now, please refer this, too.

P. S.
I also incremented the individual draft revisions for book-keeping purpose.
(One of these depends on the revision numbers embedded to the protocol).
Contents of these are exactly the same as httpbis-proposed versions.

--
Yutaka OIWA, Ph.D.              Leader, Software Reliability Research Group
                             Research Institute for Secure Systems (RISEC)