Re: WGLC: draft-ietf-appsawg-http-forwarded-02.txt - section 5.1

On 2012-05-14 23:48, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> OK in theory but in practice I'm fairly sure we'll see IPv6 addresses
> sent unquoted because a number of implementations will not have noticed
> they became mandatory. That's why sometimes widening a character set to
> better fit what it is supposed to represent makes a lot of sense. This
> can even be done by slightly extending the grammar :
>
>     Forwarded-v = 1#( token "=" ( ipv4 / ipv6 / token / quoted-string ) *( ";" ... ) )

The downside is that you can't use an off-the-shelf parser component,
which I believe is a pretty big downside.

The HTTP community has been inventing new microsyntaxes for many years,
and as far as I can tell, most header field parsers out there are broken
beyond belief. We need less of them, even if this means that a few edge
cases will be more verbose than necessary.

Best regards, Julian