Re: multiplexing -- don't do it

From: Salvatore Loreto <salvatore.loreto@ericsson.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 17:38:43 +0200
To: ietf-http-wg@w3.org
I concur with Robert that solving a transport problem is decidedly not
in scope of the WG.

however I can not resist ...

On 4/8/12 12:43 AM, Adrien W. de Croy wrote:
> also... UDP is very problematic for DoS, since there's no established
> connection, and therefore no verification of source.
right, but you can use DTLS for this
> Try defending yourself against a DNS flood with spoofed source and
> you'll see what I mean.  The work you need to do to respond to an HTTP
> request is typically a lot more than you need to do for DNS, so the
> impact would be worse.
> So IMO it's completely unsuitable as a transport for HTTP over the
> internet.
but you can use SCTP over DTLS over UDP can provide an interesting
solution to investigate from a *research prospective*
SCTP in the userland provide you with natively MUX and congestion
control, and the userland approach solve the fact that not all the OSs
support SCTP;
DTLS provides you with security
UDP: encapsulation of SCTP over UDP allows also to pass through NAT

/Sal

--
Salvatore Loreto, PhD
www.sloreto.com