Re: Re[2]: Some proxy needs

Nicholas, list,

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 8:56 AM, Nicolas Mailhot
<nicolas.mailhot@laposte.net> wrote:

> > So, if the proxy farm fails to hash incoming requests on source IP or
> > target URL then this might happen.
>
> That breaks load balancing as soon as your network is big enough, with
> different parts that get active at different points of the day.

Sorry if I seem to miss the point, but why would it break? Are you worried that
one point in the farm would get too hot?

> > But either of these methods will
> > easily help avoid the problem.
>
> No they won't.
> To scale network equipments need to be as stupid as possible, and as much
> smarts as possible kept in the endpoints. You're breaking this principle
> there.

Having some smarts in the network to optimize cache hit rates seems to be a
reasonable optimization as long as the amount of state can be kept as low
as possible.

> And anyway even if your solution was possible, you still get unhappy users
> that serial refresh because they're not seeing initial progress in their web
> clients

If the loadbalancer was balancing on target URLs the request would end up at
the same proxy. The proxy should be smart enough to coalesce the request
into the ongoing one and this one could feed the user a couple of bytes so
at the client understands that there is some progress on the download as
some proxies have done for years.

--
Per Buer