Re: Re[2]: multiplexing -- don't do it

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2012 23:03:26 +0000
To: "Adrien W. de Croy" <adrien@qbik.com>
cc: "Roberto Peon" <grmocg@gmail.com>, "Peter Lepeska" <bizzbyster@gmail.com>, "Mark Nottingham" <mnot@mnot.net>, tom <zs68j2ee@gmail.com>, "patrick mcmanus" <pmcmanus@mozilla.com>, "ietf-http-wg@w3.org" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
In message <emc784be85-d0e8-4ced-8785-15a6435fe0f4@BOMBED>, "Adrien W. de Croy"
 writes:

>also... UDP is very problematic for DoS, since there's no established
>connection, and therefore no verification of source.

Yes, I see little role for HTTP over UDP outside controlled environments
for this reason.

But in controlled environments, the benefits can be quite large,
as for instance, the example I keep hearing about:  A caching
surrogate (= Varnish) in front of webservers with lots and lots and
lots of small objects.

There is no relevant packet loss, there are no hostile actors and
object size can be infered from URI