Re: multiplexing -- don't do it

Mike Belshe <mike@...> writes:

> For the record - nobody wants to avoid using port 80 for new protocols.  I'd
> love to!  There is no religious reason that we don't - its just that we know,
> for a fact, that we can't do it without subjecting a non-trivial number of
> users to hangs, data corruption, and other errors.  You might think its ok for
> someone else's browser to throw reliability out the window, but nobody at
> Microsoft, Google, or Mozilla has been willing to do that...

And yet none of those vendors though twice before disabling https redirects,
even though it was known they were widely used by proxies and captive portals,
and no replacement was proposed, and it subjected and still subjects a
non-trivial number of proxy users to hangs, data corruption, and
other errors.

--
Nicolas Mailhot