Re: HTTP -> Messages -> Transport factoring

From: David Morris <dwm@xpasc.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 17:00:59 -0700 (PDT)
To: "ietf-http-wg@w3.org Group" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

On Thu, 5 Apr 2012, Mike Belshe wrote:

> I would propose that HTTP only concern itself with reliable transports.  A
> reliable transport provides both in-order delivery and guaranteed delivery.
>  UDP does not provide guaranteed delivery (even if you use the 64K hack you
> mention to avoid the in-order issues), and therefore is not a transport
> worthy of discussion for HTTP/2.0 by itself.

Yes ... I even wonder if HTTP itself should deal with the multiplexing or
if HTTP should remain a request/response communication with the sorting
out of multiple sub-streams handled by a lower layer. W/o a specification,
it is hard to be sure, but I think I'd implement two layers, even if
they arrive as a 'single layer' in the eventual spec.