RE: proxy config (was Re: multiplexing -- don't do it)

I believe the last number I heard for WPAD was 3% of users rely upon it.

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel Stenberg [mailto:daniel@haxx.se]
Sent: Monday, April 02, 2012 11:42 PM
To: Amos Jeffries
Cc: HTTP Working Group
Subject: proxy config (was Re: multiplexing -- don't do it)

On Tue, 3 Apr 2012, Amos Jeffries wrote:

> On top of that WPAD is still a non-standard mess not supported by
> non-browser agents

The reason "non-browser agents" don't support it - I claim - is that there's just no significant number of users who need it.

I'm the main author of curl, during its 14 years of existance not a single user has asked for WPAD support... PAC however, people has asked for, but that's a javascript mess not easily supported by a mere "non-browser agent".

I would claim we in the HTTP world haven't found the optimal solution for this yet. Unfortunately.

--

  / daniel.haxx.se