Re: multiplexing -- don't do it

From: Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2012 06:39:43 +0200
To: Mike Belshe <mike@belshe.com>
Cc: Peter L <bizzbyster@gmail.com>, ietf-http-wg@w3.org
On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 03:22:12PM +0200, Mike Belshe wrote:
> What is "transparency on the wire"?  You mean an ascii protocol that you
> can read?  I don't think this is a very interesting goal, as most people
> don't look at the wire.

I agree with you here Mike, despite being used to look at network captures
all the day and testing proxies with "printf|netcat" at both ends. But we
must admit that if developers need tools, they will develop their tools.
Having an HTTP option for netcat would work well, or even having an 1.1-to-2.0
and 2.0-to-1.1 message converter on stdin/stdout would do the trick. So I
prefer to lose the ability to easily debug and have something efficient than
the opposite. And it costs me a lot to say this :-)

Willy