RE: Issue 166: clarify term "User Agent" and resolve inconsistencies with W3C specs

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 16:58:02 -0800
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
CC: Karl Dubost <karld@opera.com>, "julian.reschke@gmx.de" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
..., it would be helpful if you could identify *specific* parts of the documents where it's important to distinguish between at-the-keyboard-now and at-the-keyboard-sometime.

As I said, I think the problem is less with the HTTP documents than it is with other specification writers who are not careful to distinguish client-with-user and autonomous clients.  But...

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-p7-auth-17

   o  Clients which have been idle for an extended period following
      which the server might wish to cause the client to reprompt the
      user for credentials.

"if they have one"?  The server causes the client to???

  If the 401 response contains the same challenge as the
   prior response, and the user agent has already attempted
   authentication at least once, then the user SHOULD be presented the
   representation that was given in the response, since that
   representation might include relevant diagnostic information.

Getting terminology wrong leads to thinkos.

Larry
--
http://larry.masinter.net