Re: issue 325: When are Location's semantics triggered?, was: Protocols/APIs and redirects

Hi Julian,

On Wed, Dec 07, 2011 at 10:06:05AM +0100, Julian Reschke wrote:

> >>Indeed:
> >>
> >>"If the server has a preferred choice of representation, it SHOULD
> >>include the specific URI for that representation in the Location field;
> >>user agents MAY use the Location field value for automatic redirection."
> >>
> >>So for new 3xx responses that come with "Location", UAs MAY use it for
> >>automatic redirection. But then, they don't have to.
> >
> >So, it sounds like we need a new paragraph (or similar) in p2 8.3
> >redirection...
>
> To say what?
>
> A 3xx with Location is more like 302 then 300?

I don't think we should say something like this. For instance a new 3xx
might provide a Location header which would only be conditionnally used.
Requiring UAs to process 3xx like 302 if they see a Location header seems
problematic for the long term.

Why not say that a Location header might be used in conjunction with new 3xx
headers but UAs must not use it unless they understand this 3xx ?

Regards,
Willy