Re: #158: Proxy-Connection and Keep-alive

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2011 11:21:17 +1100
Cc: ietf-http-wg@w3.org
To: Amos Jeffries <squid3@treenet.co.nz>

On 29/11/2011, at 5:01 PM, Amos Jeffries wrote:

> How about is for prose:
> "
> Proxy-Connection is now obsolete. Clients must not produce it on HTTP/1.1 requests or responses.

Yes, with editorial niggles. I think this is roughly what we have now.

> NP: existing software still uses a mixture of HTTP/1.0 and obsolete Proxy-Connection keep-alive mechanisms which differ in behaviour from HTTP/1.1. Clients should always explicitly send Connection: keep-alive or Connection: close when contacting servers having HTTP/1.0 or unknown HTTP version numbers.

That's too strong; we shouldn't require use of HTTP/1.0 mechanisms, as some implementations might make reasonable decisions to not use pconns with 1.0 servers. Besides, connection: close is the default with 1.0 anyway, so there's not reason to mention it here.

I'd really rather not get into specifying the keep-alive mechanism in HTTP/1.1, because it's deprecated, and difficult to correctly specify. Mentioning it is fine, but putting requirements around it is too much.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/