Re: [apps-discuss] I-D Action: draft-nottingham-http-new-status-02.txt

From: Randall Gellens <rg+ietf@qualcomm.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 02:43:44 +0000
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, Apps Discuss <apps-discuss@ietf.org>
Cc: Jan Algermissen <algermissen1971@me.com>, httpbis Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
In today's APPAREA/APPSWG session, Mark briefly talked about this
draft, and when mentioning the 511 code, said that his intent was not
to encourage captive portal interception as a technique for network
access authorization or authentication, but rather to reduce the harm
that such mechanisms cause.

I agree with all these goals, but in looking at
draft-nottingham-http-new-status-03.txt, I wonder if it would be
helpful to add some text in section 6 that mentions some of the ill
effects of the method, and mentions or points to a few better
alternative mechanisms for authorizing network access.

--
Randall Gellens
Hofstadter's Law: