Re: Additional HTTP Status Codes - "Request Too Onerous"

Why isn't a 403 Forbidden appropriate here? In particular, the first two
sentences of the status code's definition seems to cover this case
exactly. A server could include the "request too onerous" information in
the response entity, as well as, for example, describing acceptable
alternatives.

10.4.4. 403 Forbidden
"The server understood the request, but is refusing to fulfill it.
Authorization will not help and the request SHOULD NOT be repeated. If the
request method was not HEAD and the server wishes to make public why the
request has not been fulfilled, it SHOULD describe the reason for the
refusal in the entity. If the server does not wish to make this
information available to the client, the status code 404 (Not Found) can
be used instead."

Jon
Jon Moore
Comcast Interactive Media