Re: #320: add advice on defining auth scheme parameters

On 30/10/2011, at 1:29 AM, Willy Tarreau wrote:

> Couldn't we suggest that new schemes must use semi-colon instead ?
> After all, existing parsers will have to be extended to support new
> schemes anyway, so making them support a more reliable syntax makes
> sense.

Not necessarily; an implementation can (and should be able to) use a generic parser no matter what new schemes are introduced.

Also, if a non-upgraded parser gets a message with multiple challenges in it, it could get confused by this.

To be clear -- I'm no fan of the current syntax, but we need to be *extremely* careful to make sure we don't make the situation worse.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/