Re: #320: add advice on defining auth scheme parameters

Hi Mark, Julian,

On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 10:23:06PM +1100, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> I'm +1 on this. Normally we shouldn't have to go to this level of detail, but the syntax here is very brittle, so it's worth doing.
>
> Any objections?

[disclaimer: I've not read the initial issue]

In the following header from Julian's example :

     WWW-Authenticate: Newauth realm="apps", type=1,
                       title="Login to \"apps\"", Basic realm="simple"

I'm seeing 4 independant comma-delimited values, which could also be
expressed and individually processed like this with the same meaning :

     WWW-Authenticate: Newauth realm="apps"
     WWW-Authenticate: type=1
     WWW-Authenticate: title="Login to \"apps\""
     WWW-Authenticate: Basic realm="simple"

I'm not sure this is precisely what's desired since Julian suggested
there were two challenges in this example (Newauth and Basic). Thus I
would have written them that way with semi-colons to split the attributes :

     WWW-Authenticate: Newauth realm="apps"; type=1;
                       title="Login to \"apps\"", Basic realm="simple"

which would then be equivalent to :

     WWW-Authenticate: Newauth realm="apps"; type=1; title="Login to \"apps\""
     WWW-Authenticate: Basic realm="simple"

It would be nice to clarify this point since it can be confusing.

Regards,
Willy