Re: draft-ietf-httpbis-p1-messaging-16 1.2.1 ABNF Extension: #rule – Invalid example?

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 14:21, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:

> On 2011-10-26 14:12, Håkan wrote:

>>  >No. SP isn't part of token, but it *is* part of OWS.
>>
>> Agree, but OWS do not start  #element or 1#element, hence a space cannot
>> be the first character.
>> And OWS cannot end a #element or 1#element so a space cannot be the last
>> character.
>>

> Spaces aren't part of the elements, they are part of OWS which is allowed
> between the elements and the list separator.
>
> Agree with that too. Spaces are allowed BETWEEN the elements and list
separator. But spaces are not allowed BEFORE the first list separator or
element, and spaces are not allowed AFTER the last list separator or
element, according to the list rules. But the example "  foo , ,bar,charlie
" states it's allowed.

The rules would have to look something like this to allow OWS before and
after (not a real attempt to produce correct rules, just to illustrate my
point):

#element => [  *OWS ( "," / element ) *( OWS "," [ OWS element ] ) *OWS ]
1#element => *OWS *( "," OWS ) element *( OWS "," [ OWS element ] ) *OWS

/Håkan