Re: Additional HTTP Status Codes - draft-nottingham-http-new-status-02

On 20/10/2011, at 9:35 AM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

>> I wonder if a 3xx response was considered.  Since the typical scenario involves redirection, it's not that much of a stretch to imagine 3xx.
>
> I am not sure if we considered it or not -- it would be nice to make use
> of the Location header field.  Mark?

I think it was discussed a long time ago, in the previous draft. We can't assume that existing clients will treat a 3xx with a Location as a redirect, so it's of limited value (now) to use 3xx.

Also, redirection status codes currently all have a semantic of "the thing you're looking for is over there." In this case, that wouldn't be true. I know that's not a codified semantic of 3xx, but it does lead to a one-of-these-things-is-not-like-the-other situation.

And, of course, we can always specify the use of Location on 511 (for what good it will do).

I'm not against 3xx, BTW -- just trying to reconstruct how we got here.

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/